Updating your kitchen is one of the single best investments you can make in the value of your home. Many potential buyers are drawn to a beautiful kitchen... even if they don't cook! It's often the center of the home - a gathering place for entertaining, family time and morning coffee.
Kitchen updates that add value don't have to break the bank! You can make a big impact by spending a few hundred dollars or really go for the 'wow' factor and spend thousands. However, if you do go for it and completely remodel your kitchen, it's a great idea to consult a real estate professional first to determine the value of your home. Doing this provides a safeguard against 'over-improving', which won't allow you the return on your investment when it comes time to sell your property.
Looking to make a few minor improvements?
Here are a few quick updates you can make for around $200 or less:
- Replace a small appliance - Update the microwave or dishwasher with stainless steel for a clean, fresh look.
- Freshen the paint color - Choose a light, bright and semi-neutral color to appeal to all tastes.
- Install a new light fixture
- Replace your cabinet hardware
Ready for a more significant change?
Consider these higher-ticket updates:
- Replace all appliances with popular stainless steel package
- Install new tile or hardwood flooring
- Reface or replace kitchen cabinetry
- Install a tile or natural stone backsplash
- Upgrade your countertops to granite, quartz or other natural stone product